build qt5 stable (changed subject from: qt5 stable: qengineio: fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 20:45:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Dominik Haumann <dhaumann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2014 17:27:33 Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:38 AM, Gregor Mi <codeminister at publicstatic.de>
> wrote:

>> > Ok. Any idea about the qtenginio "Could not read from remote repository"
>> > problem? Do I need special access rights? Or is it possible that the
>> > qtenginio repo is offline?
>>
>> This is because the upstream Qt developers have added yet another
>> module to Qt, which wasn't included in our mirror of Qt.
>> Our mirror has now been adjusted to include this new mirror.
>>
>> This is a process which has to be done each time they add a new module.
>>
>> For those wondering why, we maintain a mirror of Qt on the anongit
>> network to ensure that it is always available - at least in the past
>> people have had issues accessing the Gitorious repositories.
>
> Hi Ben,

Hi Dominik,

> then thanks again for fixing it (again). Question though: Could this error be
> caught earlier, maybe automated?

Not sure how easy it would be to catch - the only way to detect
missing Qt modules is when init-repository is adjusted to use them.
As far as I know there is no easily machine usable list out there of
the list of repositories which make up Qt 5.

> I'm asking because it cost me (as someone who does 10+ years KDE/Qt
> development) quite some time to get this working. Other developers following
> our official building guide will run into this, too, and probably just give
> up. And that is quite bad.

Indeed. I see three ways forward essentially:

1) Get the Qt Project folks to inform KDE Sysadmin in advance of a new
repository going into init-repository - this will give us time to add
a mirror of that repository

2) Get the Qt Project folks to offer a list of all repositories which
make up Qt 5. A script can periodically retrieve this and compare it
against the repos offered on KDE infrastructure to detect newly added
repositories.

3) Cease mirroring Qt 5 on KDE infrastructure.

> Greetings,
> Dominik

Thanks,
Ben