Translation support in Qt-translation-based frameworks

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 14:30:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

I just committed the necessary build system changes to enable all
Qt-translation-based frameworks to build, install and load their
translations.

This means the following frameworks:

kauth
kbookmarks
kcodecs
kcompletion
kcoreaddons
kcrash
kdbusaddons
kdesignerplugin
kdnssd
kglobalaccel
kitemviews
kjobwidgets
knotifications
kwidgetsaddons
solid
sonnet

If you maintain one of those frameworks, please have a look at the
changes. They were partly automated, so may not match exactly the way
you like things to be named or indented.

I smoke-tested those which provided manual tests to exercise part of the
translated UI. This is the list of frameworks for which I found a way to
test:

kbookmarks
kcompletion
kcoreaddons
kdesignerplugin
kitemviews
kjobwidgets
knotifications
kwidgetsaddons
sonnet

To test translations:

1. Generate a .pot file by following those instructions:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n_Build_Systems#Testing_your_Messages.sh_script

2. Create a translation file:
    cd po
    cp myframework.pot myframework-fr.po
    (or -de, -es, -pt...)

3. Edit myframework-fr.po with Lokalize or your text editor, translate
strings of interest (no need to translate all, this is just for testing)

4. Rerun cmake so that it notices the new po dir (touch CMakeLists.txt
should do)

5. Run make and make install

6. Run the code to test, your translations should appear

Do not commit the po/ dir, it will be generated at release time from the
kde translation infrastructure.

Aurélien