Finding libexec files / relocation

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 01:23:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Alex Merry <alex.merry at kde.org> wrote:

> Currently, paths to libexec files are hardcoded (or not... see
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/117023/).  This works find unless you
> want to relocate anything.
>
> I know that relocating is something that has come up with KDE on Windows
> stuff.  Is it something we want to support?  If so, how would we do it?
>
> I think most of the rest of our stuff (including CMake code) supports
> relocation, even if you have to set some environment variables to
> support it (like LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux).
>
> Alex

I just saw that Qt itself is already installing things in <prefix>/libexec
(e.g. libexec/QtWebProcess). We probably want to do the same.

Also it would be interesting to see how they are finding the executables
and maybe mimic it ourselves.

Personally, I think that it doesn't make sense that we're hardcoding paths
while everything is abstracted and magic.

Aleix