Move KDED out of frameworks?

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Thu Mar 27 22:25:24 UTC 2014

Hi there

First of all sorry for sending this email so late in the release process, but
today has been the first day in months that I have been able to work fully
concentrated on Frameworks.

KDED is a weird framework, while it is a solution it is still really tied to
what was once known as KDE, just to mention a few things:

-It always registers org.kde.kded5 in the bus, allowing only 1 instance
-It plays a role in startkde startup sequence
-It checks for KDE session for loading or not some modules
-Manages sycoca freshness
-Integrates with ksplash
-...

So for the moment I'd like to move KDED into kde-workspace (not into the repo
but in the git structure) until we clean and remove all ties to KDE and make
it more of a solution for any desktop.

Since it does  not install any header (kdbusaddons does it instead) we won't
break anything with it.

What do you think?

Cheers.