[kde-promo] Releasing Deprecated modules and Tier 4 Definition

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Mar 26 19:47:23 UTC 2014

On 26 March 2014 20:08, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tuesday 25 March 2014 16:41:12 Jos Poortvliet wrote:

>> Just imagine what header would you like to see on an announcement/article:
>> * Frameworks 5 To Not Include Deprecated Technologies
>> * KDE Porting Aids To Have Three Releases
>> * Introducing KDE Porting Aids And Changes to Frameworks 5
>>
>> I'm guessing the first, but - just checking.
>
> The first sounds negative to me, it'd sound like we completely drop them
> leaving people with no transition plan. Probably not the image we want to
> give...
>
> I think the third one although being more descriptive is the one with the
> least chances of being misrepresented.

I'd say not to have this as a separate announcement on its own, it's
not that significant in itself.  Instead, I'd just make it a section
of the next Frameworks release announcement (and future ones too)
saying something like:

"KF5 Porting Aids.  The Frameworks team have futher refined the
Framework classification model and have identified a new group called
the KF5 Porting Aids.  These are Frameworks containing kdelibs4
modules and api that are being deprecated in KF5 and are provided only
to assist applications in porting across to KF5.  As such these
Frameworks will only have a limited support period, currently planned
to be three release cycles.  Applications are strongly encouraged to
port away from these Frameworks during this support period to prevent
dependency on obsolete and unsupported code.  Once support is ended,
some unofficial development may continue on some modules, but they
will not be part of the officially supported Frameworks release.  The
Frameworks belonging to this group are: blah blah blah. "

John.