QML Bindings for KDE frameworks, take 2

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 18:37:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,
as I mentioned in the last couple of tuesday meetings, in Plasma we have
several QML plugins that don't depend from Plasma at all, but are bound just
to either Qt or just one framework (should ideally become the way to use the
framework from QML)

what we currently have is:
* dirmodel: is a binding to kdirmodel -> KIO? (i would probably not release it
yet but waiting to have folderview done so needed features are more clear)
* draganddrop Qt only (QML2 has a partial replacement but with less features)
* kquickcontrols: depends from several frameworks (in particular globalAccel
and dependencies) to provide a shortcut editor widget ->
* QtExtracomponents: qt only except kiconthemes (i would go into making it
less pretty and remove the kiconthemes dependency)

the fact that except dirmodel they don't really have "one" framework they
could go in..

At the moment I moved them in a scratch repository
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fmart%2Fkquickcontrols.git

right now most frameworks dependencies are optional, imports that need some
dependency that is not found are not build, so they should still be usable by
who doesn't want to depend from some of those frameworks.

This seems still a meh solution, but i can't really think about better one.
Opinions? comments?
how i proceed?

Cheers,
Marco Martin