Releasing Deprecated modules and Tier 4 Definition

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Mar 17 19:03:42 UTC 2014

On 17 March 2014 16:45, Alex Merry <alex.merry at kde.org> wrote:
> On 17/03/14 15:25, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> What worries me with this approach is it feels like comparing apples and
>> oranges here. To me a framework "tier" is about its dependencies, not
>> about its maturity. I would suggest to instead introduce an orthogonal
>> information: maturity, which could have the value: "new", "stable",
>> "deprecated".

+ 1

> ... which I think is where the confusion about tier 4 has come from.
>
> This maturity information would be familiar to anyone familiar with the
> Qt Project's processes, which would be a bonus.

I think I've advocated in other forums that we need a "maturity"
metadata flag for Apps and Frameworks that relates to our
Application/Frameworks Life Cycle and is documented somewhere
prominent so users know what we mean and promise, something like:

Experimental / Playground / Unstable
Incubator / Review / Tech Preview
Stable / Released / Supported / Active
Deprecated / Inactive