Why is KPluginInfo (const KService::Ptr service) deprecated?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 17 11:17:57 UTC 2014

On Monday, March 17, 2014 09:55:12 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> The documentation tells me that I should use KPluginLoader instead and use
> build the plugin with json meta data. But all the services I generate the
> plugin info for are not binary or only may be binary. Example usage from
> KWin is populating a KPluginSelector with all KWin scripts, which are
> obviously not binary plugins I could compile metadata into.

The metadata for plugins could also be delivered in the form of json;
currently they use .desktop files, which is due to the "everything uses
.desktop files" pattern of the past. Now plugins come with json metadata, and
there's no reason the same couldn't be done for bundles of scripts.

I would imagine that would make the future plugin registration system (that
dfaure is going to be working on iirc) simpler: instead of having to support
both .desktop and json data when adding a plugin to the cache, it could simply
accept json data.

--
Aaron J. Seigo