KSpeech

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Thu Mar 6 19:34:05 UTC 2014

On Thursday 06 March 2014 17:13:19 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Frederik Gladhorn <gladhorn at kde.org>
wrote:
> > Onsdag 5. mars 2014 23.04.12 skrev Jeremy Whiting:
> >> 3. user configurability (As a user I can't set up which voice I
> >> would like all speech-using applications to use)
> >
> > As with other Qt libs, this is more for the platform to set up.
> > Currently qtspeech uses whatever voice is selected system wide
> > (aka the default). I think that is the right approach - follow
> > what we get from the platform. For KDE I'd thus suggest creating
> > a configuration module which lets the user choose the platform
> > defaults.
>
> Yeah, each platform could have its own configuration of the
> defaults sure, the only part missing is a real-time configuration
> change. For example if Jovie is reduced to a kcm to configure
> speech-dispatcher's default voice and I start listening to a pdf
> from okular or something and decide I need the pitch to be lower,
> changing the default voice wont change the voice that
> speech-dispatcher is already using to read the pdf.  Maybe that
> could be fixed with a patch to speech-dispatcher to accept
> immediate default changes though, I'll have to think about that.

Let me refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-speech-20110419/
which defines attributes a web page can use to influence speech. Would
be nice if we had API supporting web speech.

Regarding voice selection, it would be very useful to allow the
application to specify female/male/child voice via API (in addition to
the ability to let the user reconfigure actual voices). Similar to
letting the application request Sans, Sans Serif, and Monospaced font.

For example, when generating different voices while reading out e-book
stories.

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)