KSpeech

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Wed Mar 5 19:29:59 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 4. March 2014 16.43.10 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Hello all, I've realized a bit ago that kspeech was not included in
> the kdelibs split (probably because it was in staging at the time and
> didn't conform to the other framework policies yet). I've cleaned it
> up a bit and put it in my scratch space, but have some architectural
> questions about it before I make it a proper framework.
>
> 1. The KSpeech dbus interface is old and showing its age. Many of the
> methods are no longer implemented in the application itself since it
> was ported to speech-dispatcher. One thing I would definitely like to
> do is clean up/remove methods that aren't implemented currently (and
> possibly re add some later on if speech-dispatcher gets better/more
> support for job control, etc.) So the question about this is is KF5
> time a good time to drop/clean up the dbus interface?
>
> 2. The KSpeech interface that was in kdelibs/interfaces is just that a
> dbus interface only. I would like to make it a proper
> library/framework with a QObject based class for talking to Jovie (the
> application that implements the KSpeech dbus interface) and wonder if
> other things such as what's currently in jovie/libkttsd should be in
> the kspeech library also. If I move code from jovie into libkspeech
> (or merge kspeech interface into libkttsd and make libkttsd a
> framework likely renamed to libkspeech since libkttsd isn't a public
> library anyway and has the old ktts name) what's the best way to
> preserve the history of both the kspeech interface and libkttsd
> sources. Didn't the plasma or kde-workspaces split do something fancy
> with git where old history pointed to the old git repo somehow?
> Along with this, if libkspeech is defining the kspeech dbus interface
> and has a class to talk to that interface, does the interface still
> need to be in servicetypes like the dbustexttospeech.desktop file that
> was installed in /usr/share/kde4/servicetypes in kde4 times?

In case you are interested, I started a cross platform library for tts here:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#admin,project,qt/qtspeech,info
It's a regular Qt module providing a library that currently consists of one class.

It is currently quite incomplete because it lacks voice/language configuration.
On the up side, I implemented basic backends for win/mac/android/linux.
Linux is using speech-dispatcher, but I was quite dissatisfied with spd's API. For
example it lacks proper free functions for the structs it allocates - so one has
to basically leak them.
I didn't dare looking at Jovie/kttsd since I used the Qt license.

Greetings,
Frederik