KSpeech

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Mar 4 23:43:10 UTC 2014

Hello all, I've realized a bit ago that kspeech was not included in
the kdelibs split (probably because it was in staging at the time and
didn't conform to the other framework policies yet). I've cleaned it
up a bit and put it in my scratch space, but have some architectural
questions about it before I make it a proper framework.

1. The KSpeech dbus interface is old and showing its age. Many of the
methods are no longer implemented in the application itself since it
was ported to speech-dispatcher. One thing I would definitely like to
do is clean up/remove methods that aren't implemented currently (and
possibly re add some later on if speech-dispatcher gets better/more
support for job control, etc.) So the question about this is is KF5
time a good time to drop/clean up the dbus interface?

2. The KSpeech interface that was in kdelibs/interfaces is just that a
dbus interface only. I would like to make it a proper
library/framework with a QObject based class for talking to Jovie (the
application that implements the KSpeech dbus interface) and wonder if
other things such as what's currently in jovie/libkttsd should be in
the kspeech library also. If I move code from jovie into libkspeech
(or merge kspeech interface into libkttsd and make libkttsd a
framework likely renamed to libkspeech since libkttsd isn't a public
library anyway and has the old ktts name) what's the best way to
preserve the history of both the kspeech interface and libkttsd
sources. Didn't the plasma or kde-workspaces split do something fancy
with git where old history pointed to the old git repo somehow?
Along with this, if libkspeech is defining the kspeech dbus interface
and has a class to talk to that interface, does the interface still
need to be in servicetypes like the dbustexttospeech.desktop file that
was installed in /usr/share/kde4/servicetypes in kde4 times?

thanks,
Jeremy