c++ plugins with Frameworks 5

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Mon Mar 3 12:35:40 UTC 2014

On 03/03/14 11:28, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hello,
>
> over the weekend i wrote up a small tool that does what is needed for
> libsprinter, which is a Qt5 library (no frameworks deps), to harvest
> translations from .desktop files into .json files for inclusion in its plugins.
>
> one decision i made while writing this was that .desktop files are not of
> interest to libsprinter: they are there only to collect translations. as such,
> no .desktop files are actually installed, and all information is kept in the
> json that gets compiled into the plugin itself.

My understanding is that scripty extracts strings from desktop files and
puts them into .pot files for translators.  When the translations are
done, it extracts the strings from the .po files and puts then back into
the desktop files.

Could we not extend scripty to do the same for the .json files?  We
would want a standard way of representing translatable and translated
strings, and some library support somewhere to extract the correct
version of the string for the current locale.

Alex