KAuth and KF5

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jun 25 09:40:35 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 24 June 2014 23:44:12 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Hello,
>
> currently, the KF5 version of KAuth is not quite usable as any helper used
> by KAuth segfaults: the most notable is backlighthelper, which always
> crashes at login.
>
> According to some investigations made by a fellow openSUSE Community KDE
> member, it crashes somewhere in Qt, in dbusInterfaceString().
> I've tried myself to get a backtrace but gdb offers no stack
>
> Given that the release is so close by and that KAuth is used by a lot of
> pieces in the upcoming workspace release:
>
> 1. How can this be debugged further?
> 2. Has anyone been able to reproduce this?
> 3. Is this something different entirely?
>
> Basically this makes KAuth non-functional.
>
> I'm hoping this is only a local issue, though, ;)

Just a quick question to make sure this is not the issue: Have you ruled out
ABI/linker issues? I've seen a case where a kf5 app tried to load a Qt4
plugin/library, which lead to _very_ strange crashes. You can make sure that's
not the case by doing something like ldd on any exe/lib involved. Furthermore,
try "info shared" in gdb on crash.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff