git hooks for reviews mandatory?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Jun 21 15:22:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, June 19, 2014 23:21:22 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was thinking, since the policy for committing in frameworks is to always
> asking for a review, what about on repositories under frameworks/* adding an
> hook that accepts pushes only if the comment has a REVIEW: line?
>
> I have been guilty too many times of not respecting that, mostly for not
> thinking about it at all, maybe I'm not the only one, an artificial enforce
> of discipline like that *may* make sense.
>
> opinions? would be useful, or mostly just an annoyance?

I think it would be mostly an annoyance, but if it were possible to override
(REVIEW:IRC, REVIEW:TrustMe, etc.) in situations where a Reviewboard request
is unneeded it could help with ensuring we don't accidentally commit something
needing review.

We'd also want to make sure to come up with pre-commit hooks for devs to use
client side, or at least a git-commit template reminding to use an appropriate
REVIEW keyword so that devs don't have to wait until they try to push to
figure out their commit can't land as-is.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne