Minimum translation percentage for frameworks release

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 17:06:21 UTC 2014

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Alexander Potashev <aspotashev at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Correct - Albert's final idea was to let the downstream decide. I'm
>> almost sure that won't work well, specifically most distros will
>> probably include all translations we ship, even very incomplete ones
>> because
>>  1. Packagers won't find out soon they need to do this filtering (i.e.
>> they won't notice that we've turned off filtering on our side),
>> because they didn't need to with KDE SC 4.x,
>>  2. Packagers won't spent their time to write scripts for filtering
>> translations in some smart way.
>
> Well, then we need to offer proper tooling.

Aleix,

How about shipping all available translation files in tarballs and
some filtering at build time? This way packagers will have an option
to easily modify the filtering approach. And for those packagers who
don't care there will be some kind of default filter applied at build
time, the easiest being per package threshold at 70%.

The only downside is larger tarballs, because there will be much more
languages shipped, compared to filtering at tarball creation stage.

--
Alexander Potashev