OSX/MacPorts KDE CI System: Asking for trouble due to installations outside the expected $DATA_INSTALL_DIR/kf5 directory for khtml and katepart5

"Marko Käning" mk-lists at email.de
Sat Jul 5 16:31:20 UTC 2014

Hi David and all,

> Which proves my point: .rc files don't go into the kf5 subfolder.

I was pondering this again just now and came to the conclusion that
all the KF5/KDE frameworks and apps should install everything into
some subdir of the system's directory like

   /Library/Application Support/KF5/

by which KF5 wouldn't clutter "/Library/Application Support" with
a ton of KF5-related files. This is what other companies do as well
on OSX, see e.g. the content on the CI system:

---
$ ls -1 /Library/Application\ Support
App Store
Apple
CrashReporter
ProApps
Script Editor
com.apple.TCC
iLifeMediaBrowser
kf5

$ ls -1 /Library/Application\ Support/Apple
Automator
BezelServices
Fonts
Grapher
Mail
ParentalControls
Remote Desktop
iChat Icons
---

Apple and other vendors have their own subdir. And yet the same is
visible in a user directory, e.g. this:

---
$ ls -1 ~/Library/Application\ Support
AddressBook
App Store
Console
CrashReporter
Dock
NotificationCenter
QtProject
Ubiquity
com.apple.TCC
kconf_update
kfileplaces
kiocore-jobtestL42175.slave-socket
kiocore-jobtestL43615.slave-socket
kiocore-jobtestL65116.slave-socket
kiocore-jobtestL66597.slave-socket
kiowidgets-jobguitest
kservices5
stalefiles
---

As you can see here, I have leftovers from build and tests in my user
directory, because it's the directory of the jenkins slave, so to speak.

There are e.g. also these two folders which contain at the moment only
one subfolder each:
---
$ ls -1 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/
Silverlight
$ ls -1 ~/Library/Application\ Support/QtProject/
Assistant
---
but I think they illustrate where I am coming from nicely. (Having said
that I've found on another VM also Skype parallel to the Microsoft folder
which is a little puzzling and inconsistent, I admit.)

But still, having dedicated root folders for KF5 data files in

  /Library/Application Support/KF5      (for the system)
  ~/Library/Application Support/KF5     (for each user)

seem to be the best approach and should be the default definition of
DATA_INSTALL_DIR, in my opinion.

Greets,
Marko