kactivities master becomes Qt5/KF5-based

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 22:42:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, January 29, 2014 00:02:09 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > Ping, 4.13 is looming over. If you want to make it so there's no new
> > releases of 4.12.x anymore and master is KF5 based, please discuss now.
> >
> > Personally I'd suggest against it since seems that even if we dicussed for
> > that happening to kde-workspace people did not get the memo and got angry,
> > so unless you have a huge itch to make it happen i'd just do with
> > kactivities the same we do with kdelibs.
>
> I've been procrastinating.
>
> We can't do the same thing as with kdelibs. Simply because those were split
> into separate repositories where masters are qt5/kf5-based. KActivities is
> already in a separate repository.

I think Albert would be referring to when kdelibs was tracking both KDE 4 and
KF5 Frameworks development (before the KF5 repo splits occurred).

> If we decide to wait after 4.13, the next release of Plasma will have to use
> a non-master-based kactivities which I'm not sure is a good idea.
>
> Naturally, I am open to suggestions.

We already track "branch groups" for the build.kde.org CI infrastructure and
for kdesrc-build users, which simply maps which 'role' is being build for to
the needed repo branch to use.

It's visible in the kde-build-metadata repo, and should make it easy enough to
manage (this is used in the same kf5-qt5-build-include that dfaure and others
are maintaining for the kdesrc-build KF5 config).

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne