Where to put QML Bindings for KDE frameworks?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jan 28 18:10:27 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 12:58:01 David Edmundson wrote:
> For a task in Plasma I've had to port KKeySequence to render on
> QtQuick, using QtQuickControls.
>
> I expect over time we will see more KDE widgets having QtQuick
> implementations as well. Same for a lot of our other frameworks, such as
> KIO.
>
> I can either add these components to KDeclarative, and create a new
> import. It is already in tier3, but I would need to add quite a few
> dependencies to this module.
>
> We could put these things in plasma, but I don't think that makes
> sense as it's not really related to Plasma at all.
>
> Alternatively we can make a new framework for all KDE bindings.
>
> Or we can make an imports directory inside each of the relevant
> framework. i.e so KIO provides QML bindings too. Advantages are we can
> then use the relevant private API of a library, but it has the
> disadvantage of increasing dependencies, and mixing old very stable
> API with brand new libraries.
>
> Original thread on plasma-devel here:
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2014-January/028162.html
>
> Discuss.

I don't think we'll get a one size fit all type of solution, that will heavily
depend on the nature of the framework. For instance something like KConfig
should probably provide it's own imports, it is in the natural order of things
as it already provides a core/gui split. KIO is in pretty much the same
situation.

But for some others it is less clear... For those ones we'll have to decide if
we want to change them toward providing several payloads as well (sounds
doable for most except the *addons ones), or if we want the import to be in
one of the imports provided by KDeclarative.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net