Where to put QML Bindings for KDE frameworks?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 11:58:01 UTC 2014

For a task in Plasma I've had to port KKeySequence to render on
QtQuick, using QtQuickControls.

I expect over time we will see more KDE widgets having QtQuick
implementations as well. Same for a lot of our other frameworks, such as KIO.

I can either add these components to KDeclarative, and create a new
import. It is already in tier3, but I would need to add quite a few
dependencies to this module.

We could put these things in plasma, but I don't think that makes
sense as it's not really related to Plasma at all.

Alternatively we can make a new framework for all KDE bindings.

Or we can make an imports directory inside each of the relevant
framework. i.e so KIO provides QML bindings too. Advantages are we can
then use the relevant private API of a library, but it has the
disadvantage of increasing dependencies, and mixing old very stable
API with brand new libraries.

Original thread on plasma-devel here:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2014-January/028162.html

Discuss.