KDE-wide Animation settings

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Sat Jan 4 22:02:35 UTC 2014

On Saturday 04 January 2014 20:56:30 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> ok. So this should go to kstyle (nothing oxygen explicit in there).
>
> In fact, kstyle returns:
>
> KConfigGroup g(KSharedConfig::openConfig(), "KDE-Global GUI Settings");
>
> return g.readEntry("GraphicEffectsLevel", 0);
>
> mmm. No clue which KCM sets this :)
> (but that answers Dominik's original question I guess)

Yes, that answers my question. In particular, using the code

  widget->style()->styleHint(QStyle::SH_Widget_Animate, 0, widget)

is correct *if* we use a KStyle based style.

What I personally would like more is to always be able to read this.

I of course can use a KSharedConfig::openConfig() and then read the config
value myself. However, would it be of interest to have a static accessor for
this? Downside is that there are quite a lot of kdeglobals dependent
entries...

Is the preferred way to read this value manually then in KatePart?
Would that also be the preferred way in KMessageWidget?

Another issue we have in Kate code: kdeglobals right now do not have this
effects enabled by default. A unit test from kde4 times now fails in kf5,
because the timings are different, because the effects are off.

Are there plans to have a kdeglobals that has enabled effects?

Greetings,
Dominik