KDE-wide Animation settings

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira at free.fr
Sat Jan 4 19:56:30 UTC 2014

On 01/04/2014 08:52 PM, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 04 January 2014 20:19:43 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
>> The first problem is that with kf5, the style configuration kcm expects
>> a libkstyle_oxygen_config.so *plugin* for this configuration, whereas it
>> was "kstyle_oxygen_config.so" in kde4 times.
>>
>> now, as the error message indicates: plugins should not start with "lib"
>> and thus, oxygen still installs kstyle_oxygen_config.so only
>> so that the ill-named plugin is not found, and you get the error dialog.
>>
>> To fix,
>> - either we fix the kcm by changing the looked for plugin name (by
>> removing the lib prefix)
> Yes. Why does the kcm look for a lib prefix now? Surely there's no good reason
> for that, the kde4 way was fine.
>
>> (I think it was added in the first place due to the lack of replacement
>> for kde4_add_plugin)
> But we can still remove the prefix, can't we? You do so for oxygen :)
yes:

add_library(kstyle_oxygen_config MODULE ...)

>> For the second issue,
>> QStyle::SH_Widget_Animate is set to false not in oxygen style but in
>> KStyle by itself.
>> This is unrelated to the style configuration.
>>
>> I am not too inclined to set it to true, since I am absolutely unclear
>> what this style hint is meant for. Can someone explain ?
> It should be true on fast local desktops, and false on slow/remote desktops, I
> suppose. IOW user configurable.
ok. So this should go to kstyle (nothing oxygen explicit in there).

In fact, kstyle returns:

KConfigGroup g(KSharedConfig::openConfig(), "KDE-Global GUI Settings");

return g.readEntry("GraphicEffectsLevel", 0);

mmm. No clue which KCM sets this :)
(but that answers Dominik's original question I guess)

>> Notably, I
>> don't think it should be set to true for _all_ widgets, since most
>> widgets are already animated internally by oxygen (and thus should not
>> be by the app), though it indeed should return "true" for
>> KMessageWidget, which is not animated internally.
>>
>> So: should I enable the flag only for widgets that oxygen does not
>> animate itself ?
> No, I think it's rather unrelated. The animations from the widgets themselves
> are (as can be found by grepping qtbase)
> - opening trees in QTreeView
> - moving tabs in QTabBar
> - dockareas and toolbars
>
> Does oxygen animate any of that?
> I'd be surprised, since these were already animated in Qt4.
> What's new is letting users turn it off, via kstyle using kconfig.
Nope does not.
Thanks for the explanation.