kdesrc-build: stop after failure? --truly-verbose?

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu Feb 27 10:35:16 UTC 2014

Am Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2014, 23:27:08 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> On Wed, February 26, 2014 22:30:48 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > not sure this is the right list. I noticed that kdesrc-build happily
> > continues building even when a module failed to build. Is this desired?
>
> Yes, it's on purpose. The idea is that most people are not building KDE for
> the first time and don't need to have the whole compile aborted because
> mpyne committed a fail-to-build bug in juk or something.
>
> > Couldn't instead the _full_ error log be cat'ed and the build stopped?
> > Now,
> > I have to hunt down the error log manually which is really cumbersome. If
> > others think this behavior is good, could I vote for an additional cli
> > argument to stop after any failure?
>
> Yes, kdesrc-build can do (most) of this. I thought I documented it as a
> command line option but it turns out that it was a kdesrc-buildrc option.
>
> But you can still reach it via command line by passing --stop-on-failure=1
>
> As far as the error log file, its location gets output at the end (which
> will be very soon indeed if you pass --stop-on-failure), and I think dfaure
> might still have an open bug about reporting the logfile location
> immediately upon failure.
>
> However, what I personally do is that I added a small bash function to my
> .bashrc, "errorLog", which does something like:
>
> errorLog() {
>   $EDITOR "~/log-kdesrc-build/latest/$1/error.log"
> }
>
> where ~/log-kdesrc-build should be wherever your log directory is (probably
> $srcdir/log). kdesrc-build maintains symlinks throughout the log directory
> to make it easy to find the last log set for a given module, and which log
> contains the error if the module failed (i.e. if you see an error.log in a
> specific log directory it means that module failed to build that run).
> > Also, while at it, could we get a "truly verbose" flag, which actually
> > outputs the output from whatever tool is currently running?
>
> If you file a bug I'd probably implement it. --debug did this kind of thing
> (it might even still do it, but it would be too annoying to use here). I say
> "file a bug" only because it's guaranteed it'll drop off my plate
> otherwise.

Yep, --debug still works as intended.

I use it a lot, but only if I build single packages or combined with --stop-
on-failure=1.

You should document that --debug flag, too, I'd say. I had to grep the code
for it as well when I first wondered how to make kdesrc-build print everything
to stdout.

> > For me as a
> > developer, its really annoying having to tail -f on some random log files
> > to get my hands on the make output... How are other developers handling
> > this?
>
> I just watch the percentages in the kdesrc-build output personally. When I'm
> doing development I don't use kdesrc-build at all; I still retain my 'cs'
> and 'cb' shell macros to switch between individual source/build dirs as
> needed and manually do my git-fu and make-n-shake so that I can see
> compiler warnings.
>
> I'm sorry if it's been annoying to use but I'm always open to improvements
> (especially improvements with patches, but no one else seems to like Perl...
> ;)
>
> In the meantime there are other, better-documented, command line options
> which are useful. Documentation is available at
> http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/documentation/, and if you build kdesrc-build
> it should install a man page to $KDEDIR/share/man/man1 or thereabouts.
>
> I've recently become a big fan of --resume-from (or -after), --stop-before
> (or -after) and --ignore-modules options myself. And always --pretend.
>
> Regards,
>  - Michael Pyne

Cheers

--