kdesrc-build: stop after failure? --truly-verbose?

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Thu Feb 27 01:32:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> not sure this is the right list. I noticed that kdesrc-build happily continues
> building even when a module failed to build. Is this desired? I find it highly
> unintuitive, esp. as most modules failing at the beginning will mean all
> following modules will fail as well if they depend on said module.
>
> Couldn't instead the _full_ error log be cat'ed and the build stopped? Now, I
> have to hunt down the error log manually which is really cumbersome. If others
> think this behavior is good, could I vote for an additional cli argument to
> stop after any failure?
>
> Also, while at it, could we get a "truly verbose" flag, which actually outputs
> the output from whatever tool is currently running? For me as a developer, its
> really annoying having to tail -f on some random log files to get my hands on
> the make output... How are other developers handling this?
>
> Bye

It is useful to keep building if some module doesn't build for example
phonon-vlc doesn't build unless you have vlc installed, but the rest
of the stuff builds ok without it.  I agree it would be a useful
option for when initially getting kdesrc-build to build to see the
errors right away and stop building though. so +1 for the option to do
that if mpyne or anyone else has time to add that option it would be
very helpful.

thanks,
Jeremy