setting SOVERSION to 5

šumski hrvoje.senjan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 18:15:05 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 25 of February 2014 18:45:15 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 February 2014 17:12:37 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 04:55:43PM +0100, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > > OK, but then the said change is either in the packaging or in our own
> > > cmake
> > > files as we'd have to drop the SOVERSION later on when our version
> > > becomes
> > > 5.0.0. So it's really a question of which is more error prone.
> >
> > No change would be needed in the KF5 sources, SOVERSION would be set to 5
> > now and until KF6 comes along.
>
> I'm not fond of keeping duplicated information like that... but indeed
> that's an option as well. Now I wonder though: what was Hrvoje's objection
> exactly?

After reading all replies, i guess it does makes sense to have soversion at 5
(already).
(i.e. it 'shouldn't' have been downgraded to 4 for first alpha - but just the
soversion ;-), even though the soversion is kinda contained in library names)
My objection was based on that we'll have a 4.96.0 release with so.4, and then
suddenly with 4.97.0 at 5...

Cheers,
Hrvoje