setting SOVERSION to 5

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Feb 25 12:06:25 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 25 February 2014 08:04:16 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Monday 24 February 2014 20:23:25 šumski wrote:
> > On Monday 24 of February 2014 16:13:48 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >
> > > Shall I do this change to the frameworks?
> >
> > My opinion as a fellow packager is - please don't. IMHO, now that the
> > versioning is fully correct, it would be really weird to have soversion 5
> > at version 4.97.0
>
> Yes I agree there.
>
> Please don't. The early versioning at 5.0.0 we had for the tech preview was
> a mistake, it's been caught and fixed, so let's keep doing things properly
> now following proper versioning.

But, I think Jonathan is right for the SOVERSION.

Imagine you have libattica.so.4 for the kde4 version (random example, might
not match reality).

The kf5 version should be libattica.so.5, even in alpha/beta versions.
You don't want it to conflict with libattica.so.4 during alpha/beta phase, and
then suddenly jump to libattica.so.5.

libattica.so.5 with a "public version number" (in headers, packages etc.) of
4.96.0 sounds right to me.