desktoptojson and kservice

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Feb 21 12:57:07 UTC 2014

On Friday, 2014-02-21, 13:41:29, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> While there are shortcomings in QSettings for parsing random INI files, I
> don’t think any of these apply to the .desktop files we use. Would there be
> any objection / reason against dropping the use of KConfig in desktop and
> moving to QSettings, turning it into a Qt only application?

One limitation we hit recently in Akonadi server is that QSettings can not
correclty deal with comma in strings.
Basically it interprets any value with a comma in it as a list instead of a
string.

This generated a problem in Akonadi when Akonadi Control, which is "Qt-only"
used QSettings to parse .desktop files of Akonadi agents.
Translators found out that if they had comma in the translation, then these
strings would not show up in user interfaces anymore.

The Akonadi maintainer worked around it by joining QStringList on fields that
are expected to be strings, but of course that is not always the same as the
original string.

If we want to be able to parse .desktop files without KConfig, we need a
desktop file parser.
The Razor-Qt and LxQt people might have one already.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring