let's get ready for Google Summer of Code 2014

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Feb 16 21:40:29 UTC 2014

On Monday 10 February 2014 16:21:34 Mark Gaiser wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:
> > On Monday, February 10, 2014 01:54:36 PM Mark Gaiser wrote:
> >> Done:
> >> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2014/Ideas#Revive_KioFuse.2C_fuse_support_f
> >> or
> >> _KIO
> >>
> >> Lets hope a student comes by and picks that project :)
> >> All we need then is someone to mentor that.
> >
> > Not you?
>
> No, certainly not. I know "a bit" about KIO, but others know _way_
> more. And guiding a student requires someone with more in depth
> knowledge then i have. (looking at David Faure ^_-)

I have reservations about the use of FUSE mounts. I fear they behave like NFS
mounts: very long timeouts blocking apps (that use synchronous file
operations) for entire minutes, when network or server goes down. I could be
wrong, since I don't know much about FUSE, but that means the first step is
for someone to prove me wrong ;)
As it stands, I am not willing to mentor a kiofuse-related project.

OTOH there's a ton of porting to be done, but that might be hard to scope for
gsoc.