X11 usage in kdeinit/kinit.cpp

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 13 08:29:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

on my quest to ensure that we can run all applications with -platform wayland
if compiled with X11 support I stumbled over kinit/kdeinit/kinit.cpp which
gets compiled into the kdeinit5 binary. To quote the code:

// Can't use QGuiApplication::platformName() here, there is no app instance

And that's kind of a global problem in that file. So I don't see how we can
make a version for wayland without compiling it twice. Will we still need
kdeinit5 in the future or is that something which could be killed if we
improve the startup process (thus ignore the problem)?

A similar problem is present in wrapper.cpp which gets linked into the
binaries:
* kwrapper5
* kshell5
* kdeinit5_shutdown
* kdeinit5_wrapper

wrapper.cpp assumes there is a DISPLAY env variable and even if not it's set
to ":0".

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Martin