Required and supported Qt versions

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 09:02:38 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 30 December 2014 21:50:40 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:47 PM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 December 2014 21:41:10 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> We test the variants noted by "kf5-qt5" and "stable-kf5-qt5" in the
> >> build metadata for Qt.
> >
> > Yes - the (implicit) question was, what version of Qt do these point to
> > ;-)
>
> kf5-qt5 = Qt 5.3.x
> stable-kf5-qt5 = Qt "stable"

Ah.
Note that Qt no longer uses the branch called "stable", so it got stuck at
some version between 5.3.1 and 5.3.2.

So it seems to me that both of these configurations test pretty much the same
thing, which seems a bit pointless :-)

Maybe stable-kf5-qt5 should point to Qt 5.2. i.e. redefining "stable" as "min
version". But then it will have to stop at frameworks, since e.g. plasma-
desktop requires Qt 5.3. (Not sure why, since it builds fine with 5.2, but I
guess this is about some runtime behavior issue? fd636f964d94 in plasma-
desktop didn't give a reason).

But anyway: I'm fine with plasma requiring Qt 5.3. The target audience is
different from frameworks, which aims at developers outside the KDE community,
some of which might be still using 5.2 (e.g. in companies where dependencies
are only upgraded once in a blue moon).

Alternative: build.kde.org could be testing 5.3 and 5.4.

Anyhow, nothing critical here.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5