Baloo Framework - License Exception

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Dec 18 11:43:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> May I ask the question why Baloo should become a framework in the first
> place?
> On Windows or Mac, people won't use it anyways, no? Or is it required there
> for e.g. searches in KMail?

* Windows and Mac people should be using the search indexes already present
there.
* Baloo is used as a library by - Plasma, KRunner, Dolphin and GwenView. It
would be good to give it API + ABI guarantees. While I agree it doesn't
need to be a framework for this, nothing really has to be a framework. We
all can just release software independently.
* I'm hoping that other desktop environments might want to think about use
it. We don't have many file searching solutions in the linux world. Again,
it doesn't need to be a framework to do this. However, releasing it as part
of Plasma does make it appear to be more tightly bound to Plasma.
* I like the 1 month cycles that Frameworks follows.
* It isn't required for KMail any more. It's purely for file searching +
indexing.

Anyway, I guess I could possibly just move Baloo to extragear and start
doing 1 month releases on my own. But it would be taxing.

--
Vishesh Handa