Baloo Framework - License Exception

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 18:48:30 UTC 2014

> If we make Baloo GPL and then happen to change the database
> used we would have to relicense all of Baloo. That would be a lot
> of admin work contacting all developers.

I'm not advocating changing the library headers to GPL*, just not saying
the library is LGPL, when it can not be *used* as an LGPL library.

Cheers,
Ivan

* as you said, admin overhead, though it would not be huge in this case.

On 15 December 2014 at 18:13, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Albert is right, Baloo is LGPL but the resulting binaries will be GPL.
>>
>> Again, this serves no purpose other than 'we are using LGPL' since
>> libbaloo clients can not be non-free - they will have to link to the GPL
>> binary.
>>
>> I'd rather have an exception to the rule than having something that will
>> confuse the library users even more - it is LGPL, but I can not use it from
>> non-GPL code.
>>

> If we make Baloo GPL and then happen to change the database used we would
> have to relicense all of Baloo. That would be a lot of admin work
> contacting all developers.
>
> David

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard