Baloo Framework - License Exception

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 09:50:19 UTC 2014

> well yes, that's how the blob drivers like NVIDIA do not need to be GPL -
> at
> least that's what the affected parties claim.

There is a difference there. The kernel modules are a bit of a special case
for some reason.

They are only implementing an interface, and they are not distributed as a
part of GPL software. GPL software (the kernel) loads them at run-time.

You are not forbidden to mix licenses, you are forbidden (by GPL) to
distribute the code with mixed incompatible licenses.

The kernel stuff is really muddy - we can have binary blobs, but we can not
have ZFS because of a different (free) license. Go figure. :)

Cheers,
Ivan

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard