How to promote less mature Frameworks?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Aug 19 21:25:41 UTC 2014

El Dimarts, 19 d'agost de 2014, a les 08:44:10, David Faure va escriure:
> On Friday 15 August 2014 12:51:58 Kevin Ottens wrote:

> > > I think you're talking less about "maturity" and more about "vitality",
> > > or
> > > something. Anyway, naming aside, I think Àlex was talking specifically
> > > about API/ABI guarantees - we offer pretty strong guarantees, and fresh
> > > projects may not want to commit to that until they've had some
> > > real-world
> > > usage and feedback. This would allow the equivalent to kdelibs' old
> > > "experimental" tagging, which was used for a couple of libraries while
> > > they settled on an API.
> > >
> > > I think it could be useful, but would definitely require very careful
> > > communication.
> >
> > And that's the problem if we release them. If it's released "with the
> > rest"
> > expect people to have wrong expectations about them.
> >
> > A possibility would be perhaps to produce nightly tarballs for those
> > frameworks which don't have the "release: true" flag. This way they keep
> > not being part of a release, and early adopters have something easy to
> > grab.
> Wouldn't early adopters just checkout and build from git ?
>
> I don't know about you, but I almost never download a source tarball,
> because a git checkout is just so much easier to update later.
> We mostly make tarballs for packagers, and the non-mature frameworks we're
> talking about should definitely NOT be packaged.
>
> IMHO the solution is just to publicize the upcoming frameworks somewhere.

I see a small problem with git-only repos, and it's called
release+distributions.

I have heard that the plam is to frameworks-ize kdepimlibs, ideally one would
like to do a release of kdepimlibs so that the kf5-based kdepim can use them
but without guaranteeing ABI/API compatibility.

But if we want distros to package that kdepim we're going to need packages.

Cheers,
  Albert