Breeze widget style for KF5

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Aug 11 20:55:38 UTC 2014

On Monday 11 August 2014 13:05:19 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> Hi Milian
>
> > On Monday 11 August 2014 12:29:05 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> For the last couple of weeks and after discussion with Nuno, Marco,
> >> Andrew and some others, I've worked on implementing most of the ideas
> >> from  git://anongit.kde.org/breeze.git
> >> <http://anongit.kde.org/breeze.git> (more precisely from the QML demos
> >> at widgetstyles/qtquickcontrolsstyle)  into a native widget style for
> >> KF5.
> >>
> >> Some screenshots below:
> >>
> >> dolphin: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/dolphin.png
> >> oxygen-demo:
> >> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo.png
> >> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo1.png
> >> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo2.png
> >>
> >> Now this is of course not complete, but at least it is usable (I'm using
> >> it now).
> >> It naturally uses a lot of the code from oxygen, though for now I've
> >> preferred making a deep copy than actually sharing the code via
> >> libraries. Also it should be more efficient and have less 'issues'
> >> because it uses no pixmap caching but direct rendering to the widgets
> >> everywhere, mostly because said rendering is simpler than for oxygen.
> >> This should make it more easily dpi independent when this gets
> >> implemented inside Qt5.
> >>
> >> For the moment the code is in the following scratch repository:
> >> git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/hpereiradacosta/breeze
> >>
> >> Ultimately I'd like to
> >> - push this to some official repository (where should that be ?
> >> kde/workspace/breeze/kstyle ?)
> >> - make it the 'official' kf5 style (instead of the current QtCurve
> >> settings) - have feedback
> >> - iron out the remaining issues
> >>
> >> Among the things that are most notably missing are: a configuration ui
> >> (!)
> >> (though I foresee less things to be configurable than with oxygen)
> >>
> >> ... and then I'd like to:
> >> - make a gtk style
> >> - possibly make a kde4/qt4 style,
> >> - backport the improvement made to the code base (it is always good to
> >> revisit one's code) to oxygen at kf5
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> Comments, objections, blessings, are welcome
> >
> > As someone with no clue:
> >
> > a) what's the advantage of having a native widget style, compared to using
> > QtCurve settings?
>
> None, except that you need someone working on qtcurve

OT: isn't someone working on QtCurve? I thought so, now that it got imported
into KDE infrastructure.

> > Are there things missing / not implementable in QtCurve?
>
> Everything is implemementable in QtCurve, though not via a simple text
> config file. So here also, you need someone to do it.

OK thanks for the clarification.

And to make this explicit once more: I don't care whether it's a native style
or a QtCurve config, I'm just interested in the differences/advantages. I'm
very glad someone (i.e. you, Hugo) is working on this new style, it promises
to be a very nice one and I'm looking forward to using it, unrelated of its
underlying architecture. So yes, thanks for working on it.

> > b) do you share the git history, i.e. did you do a proper fork, or did you
> > reimport the sources and started from scratch (I hope not).
>
> For breeze I reimported the needed parts of oxygen sources and started
> from scratch, mostly because a large fraction of the code from oxygen is
> overkill for Breeze's needs.

Could someone with enough git foo please replay Hugo's commits on a fork of
QtCurve? Having the history in another repository means it does not exist.
People won't bother finding the file (esp. if it eventually gets renamed or
moved) in another repository just to do a git blame on it in the future.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de