Web Shortcuts KCM

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Aug 2 10:01:16 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 16 July 2014 21:12:25 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2014-07-16, 10:33:43, David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 July 2014 15:16:20 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > >  (ie at most a
> > >
> > > widget would be enough for the app related settings, we should talk to
> > > the
> > > underlying platform for the other ones).
> >
> > I don't want users to have to configure their search engines in 10 KDE
> > apps
> > one after the other by hand.
> > A centralized configuration is much more convenient.
>
> Hmm, what if KDE applications outside a KDE workspace are seen as separate
> entities by users of those other workspaces?

Then they will not have configurable web-shortcuts, or if we really want that,
we need a widget for doing so, but not if it means making things more
difficult for the "regular KDE workspace user". I.e. the app-specific
configuration should sit on top of the global configuration,
so that KDE-worskpace users can set things globally and standalone-app users
can set things from within the app.

This is the "solution that makes everyone happy" by making things over-
configurable.

The alternative, web shortcuts not being configurable unless you use a KDE
workspace, is IMHO valid too.

But worsening the experience for our primary target audience in order to
possibly improve the experience of our secondary target audience is IMHO a bad
move.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5