Why is plasma-framework using /usr/share/kde5?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 26 12:34:51 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 22 April 2014 10:40:45 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Monday 21 of April 2014 17:32:10 you wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 April 2014 18:14:36 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm wondering why Plasma Framework installs it's .desktop files to
> > > /usr/share/kde5 by default? It causes some confusion for packagers:
> > >
> > > No other framework is using a namespace in /usr/share, they all install
> > > into /usr/share/$FrameworkName.
> >
> > I don't see that here.
> >
> > $ find /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks -name services
> > /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks/share/plasma/services
> > /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks/share/kde5/services
> > /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks/share/dbus-1/services
> > /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks/share/konqsidebartng/virtual_folders/services
> >
> > The first one, plasma/services, only has some *.operations files.
> >
> > The second one, share/kde5/services/, has all the Type=Service .desktop
> > files from many places (khtml, plasma, kate, baloo, kdevelop, kcm....).
> >
> > So this seems consistent to me (unlike your description).
>
> I find the inconsistency in some Framework(s?) using a kde5 (or kf5, does
> not matter) directory "namespace", while others don't.
> Either all
> frameworks should install to /usr/share/kf5/$framework, or none should.

OK.
Alex Merry, Aleix Pol and I just had a long discussion about install
directories, and we have plans for a number of changes.
We included your concern in the discussion, and to make it easier to co-
install frameworks (5 and 6), we'll have a KF5_DATA_INSTALL_DIR pointing to
share/kf5. The alternative would have been sonnet5, khtml5, kxmlgui5 subdirs,
it's easier to just have a kf5 parent.
Note however that this is only for frameworks.
Apps don't need co-installation, so e.g. share/kate is fine.

> Sort of.  If you want to develop an application that depends on KService
> only, why should it use /usr/share/kde5/services if it has nothing to do
> with KDE?

We'll rename it to kservices5.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5