Plasma Next - Translations KCM - What Languages?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Apr 23 16:42:11 UTC 2014

On Sunday 16 March 2014 15:49:02 Chusslove Illich wrote:
> The related problem for me is this: why are there still standalone language
> packages for some of KDE software (the SC)? Other than historical reasons,
> the only advantage I see is installation space. But I don't see anyone
> complaining about all the other Gettext-using software coming with all
> translations. In fact, for me installing the standalone language package is
> always one more thing to remember to do, or to explain to people that they
> should do.

This vision isn't fully true, though.
Large software packages do come with splitted out translations, at least the way some distros package them.
OK, I actually have only one example:

 libreoffice-l10n-af       | African Localization Files for LibreOffice                        | package
 libreoffice-l10n-am       | Amharic Localization Files for LibreOffice                        | package
 libreoffice-l10n-ar       | Arabic Localization Files for LibreOffice                         | package
 libreoffice-l10n-as       | Assamese Localization Files for LibreOffice                       | package
 libreoffice-l10n-ast      | Asturian Localization Files for LibreOffice                       | package
 libreoffice-l10n-be-BY    | Belorussian Localization Files for LibreOffice                    | package
 libreoffice-l10n-bg       | Bulgarian Localization Files for LibreOffice                      | package
 libreoffice-l10n-br       | Breton French Localization Files for LibreOffice                  | package
[...]

> I think that the only reasonable thing for Frameworks themselves is to ship
> with translations as part of each framework.

Yes.

> Some packaging scripts will
> have to be adapted to make this easy on the release person.

Yes please !!! :-)

> I would suggest
> using the same system for everything else that was so far covered by
> standalone language packages, and doing away with them.

No opinion from me about workspace and apps.