Auto-restarting of DBus Services

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 17:57:22 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 09 April 2014 19:11:03 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> kglobalacceld has the following piece of code:
>
> // Restart on a crash
> KCrash::setFlags(KCrash::AutoRestart);
>
> Now I'm wondering whether this is needed at all. After all it's a DBus
> service and should get auto-restarted (or at least started when next
> accessed), shouldn't it?

Autorestarted immediately after a crash: no, this won't happen.
But yes, dbus services are started automatically when someone makes a call to
them. Unfortunately this won't be the case with kglobalacceld. It's watching
for X11 events to wait for a global shortcut to be pressed. So if it crashes,
it won't be watching anymore, and nothing will happen when you press Alt+F2 or
any other global shortcut ... until some application or KCM makes a dbus call
to change the globalaccel configuration, which will *then* restart the
service...