Why is plasma-framework using /usr/share/kde5?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 16:14:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm wondering why Plasma Framework installs it's .desktop files to
/usr/share/kde5 by default? It causes some confusion for packagers:

No other framework is using a namespace in /usr/share, they all install into
/usr/share/$FrameworkName. So why does Plasma framework? And if it has to use
namespace (but please explain me why), then it should be /usr/share/kf5, not
/usr/share/kde5, same as we have /usr/include/KF5 and not /usr/include/KDE5.

Couldn't the Plasma framework just install the .desktop files into
/usr/share/plasma/services and /usr/share/plasma/servicetypes? It's already
populated by Plasma-related files from other frameworks anyway...

I think that this is something that should be fixed before final release, so
that all frameworks are consistent here.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
KDE Desktop Team

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348