How do we want to ship framework translations

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Apr 11 09:46:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 14:12, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dijous, 10 d'abril de 2014, a les 09:06:40, Aurélien Gâteau va
> escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Until now, kdelibs translations have always been released as part of the
> > kde-l10n-$lang tarballs. I was wondering whether it should still be the
> > case with frameworks, or if each frameworks should instead ship with its
> > own translations. The work I have been been doing assumed the later
> > because I did not realize kdelibs tarball does not ship its own
> > translations.
>
> Every framework ships the needed l10n inside its tarball.

OK, but we still want to support installing all translations for your
language via l10n-kf5, right?

In this case I propose the following set up:

- The tarball creation script must create a po/ directory, which
contains <catalogname>-<lang>.po files (similar to what the releaseme
script does)

- l10n-kf5 remain the same: <lang>/messages/frameworks/<catalog>.po

- The CMake code in the root directory of a framework repository checks
if the po/ directory is there. If po/ exists, it builds the .po files
(either as .mo or .qm) and installs them in
<install-prefix>/share/locale/<lang>LC_MESSAGES

- The CMake code generated by l10n-kf5/scripts/autogen.sh does the same
as the CMake code in the root directory of framework repositories,
except it works on catalogs grouped by languages instead of grouped by
frameworks.

I am confident I can modify the current .qm handling code in ECM to
provide support for the two use-cases, and then do the same for
i18n-based frameworks.

Is this OK for everybody?

Aurélien