Writing a Frameworks book at Randa

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Apr 10 09:02:19 UTC 2014

On Thursday 10 April 2014 01:42:13 Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM, Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org> wrote:

> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if we should rather try spending the time in making our KF5
> >> apidocs shine. You could spend plenty of time on writing introductory
> >> parts
> >> for the individual modules, writing tutorials and examples, and make sure
> >> they're easy to reach and grasp for newcomers on apidocs.kde.org. This is
> >> an
> >> integral part for the docs on qt-project.org, too. Just have a look at
> >> the
> >> first hit for "qt docs": [1]
> >
> > I agree with this. I think api docs have a higher chance of remaining
> > relevant than a book.
> >
> > Aurélien
>
> There is no denying that apidox are crucially important. And I hope
> that some of what we write can contribute to that, perhaps. But I am
> in no way qualified to write those, while I am qualified to help this
> team write a book. Members of the team spoke up and felt that that was
> a useful thing to do.

we might have here a chicken-egg problem. Good API documentation would
significantly help for writing the book. That is if the API documentation is
good someone without deep domain knowledge will be able to write a book about
it. But if the API documentation is not good enough it needs domain knowledge
to write those.

Now what I read out of the thread is that developers think that the time of
the domain experts would be better spent writing the API documentation than
writing a book.

The question now is whether our API documentation is already good enough to
write a book without domain experts or if we need to improve the documentation
first, whether we could do this at the sprint instead of (or in addition) to
writing a book.

Cheers
Martin