KItemModels, Solid & KJS licenses

šumski hrvoje.senjan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:18:27 UTC 2014

On Monday 07 of April 2014 22:30:43 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dilluns, 7 d'abril de 2014, a les 22:24:44, šumski va escriure:
> > On Wednesday 19 of February 2014 21:18:31 šumski wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > i've started pushing Frameworks to openSUSE Factory (i.e. next openSUSE
> > > release), and our legal review found some issues[1][2][3] with mentioned
> > > frameworks licenses.
> >
> > Last items =)
> > KRunner and KActivities are missing COPYING(.LIB), but the 'biggest'
> > remaining issue is kde4support, quote:
> >
> > "The spec file states only that the package is LGPL-2.1+ licensed. Indeed,
> > the predominant license in the source code files does appear to be
> > LGPL-2.1. However, there are instances of other licenses. If this cpp code
> > is compiled with the rest of the LGPL-2.1+ licensed kde4support code, it
> > could be said that the resulting work must be licensed under the GPL-2.0 -
> > this would have a material effect on the overall license of kdesupport4."
> >
> > Should kde4support be declared as GPL-2.0?
>
> That's a bit weird, kdelibs has always (afaicr) been LGPL-compatible (i.e.
> LPGL or BSD/MIT, etc). so why would we have to declare kde4support (a subset
> of kdelibs) GPL-2?

I haven't checked all files, neither in kdelibs neither in kde4support. Our
legal came with the indication about src/kssl/kssl/cert_extract.cpp.
Quick grep showed me that they are only a few files in there (in src/kssl/)
with GPL-2, and they produce a kcm plugin, and ca-bundle/calist. So yeah,
declaring kde4support as GPL-2 indeed doesn't make sense ;-)

Cheers,
Hrvoje