libmm-qt/libnm-qt as KF5

Lamarque Souza lamarque at kde.org
Fri Apr 4 10:57:26 UTC 2014

NMQt and MMQt used to be backends for Solid. We moved them from Solid so
they can be used by more people, even people that do not use KDE software.
Forcing everybody to install KF5 just to compile them does not sound a good
thing to me. Imagine this talk with someone that want to use those
libraries and do not use KDE software:

User: I want to use it, what should I install to compile it?
Us: a c++ compiler, Qt (and its dependencies), NetworkManager (and its
dependencies), cmake and KF5.
User: What is KF5 and why is it needed.
Us: It's the next version of libraries used by KDE software.
User: Does NMQt use it?
Us: No.
User: Why do I need to install it?
Us: Because we want it.

There is absolutely no technical reason for NMQt/MMQt to depend on KF5. You
can make that dependency optional but do not force it over everybody like
you did in NMQt/MMQt's frameworks branches.

Besides depending on KF5's cmake modules what else does "being part of KDE
frameworks" require?

Lamarque V. Souza

KDE's Network Management maintainer

http://planetkde.org/pt-br