[kde-promo] Releasing Deprecated modules and Tier 4 Definition

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 5 10:53:26 UTC 2014

On Friday 28 March 2014 20:17:40 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2014 15:42:16 David Faure wrote:
> > Well we can't deprecate both khtml and kdewebkit. What do we use then,
> > right now, to browse the web in a KDE application?
>
> Deprecate does not mean that both are not available any longer, just that
> 3rd party developers don't get a wrong impression that it'll be well
> maintained for the entirety of the KF5 series.
> Unless someone steps in to maintain QtWebKit, QtWebEngine is the sole
> future...

Deprecating something before the replacement is available is very bad practice
IMHO. It dilutes the notion of deprecating, too (from "please move away from
this" to "you know, one day you will have to move away from this").

Once "the future" is there, i.e. once QtWebEngine is available, we can look at
deprecating kdewebkit.