libmm-qt/libnm-qt as KF5

Jan Grulich jgrulich at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 14:47:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

I would like to make libmm-qt and libnm-qt as KDE frameworks, they are based
only on Qt, so they could be in Tier 1. I've already started (you can see
framework branches) and I would like to ask to a few questions.

1) How to name them? Until now we named them ModemManagerQt and
NetworkManagerQt, but if we add KF5 prefix, it would be maybe better to name it
only ModemManager/NetworkManager (with KF5 prefix), but there is a problem, if
you will use it in the source code. Imagine including
<NetworkManager/WirelessDevice>, it will work, but it kinda conflicts with
NetworkManager headers and it's not clear which one is used, whether
KF5::NetworkManager or NetworkManager.

2) When to release them? We are not probably ready to be released with the
first wave of KDE frameworks and it's probably too late. I don't know how often
you plan to make releases, but at least for libnm-qt I would like to have
support for NetworkManager 0.9.10, which should be probably released soon (or
not) and it's also possible we will change something during porting plasma-nm
to KF5/Plasma2 to our needs or make the API better.

3) If you can take a look at it and tell what is wrong or necessary to change.
I just took inspiration from some Tier1 frameworks and changed it accordingly.

NOTE: plasma-nm is not ported to use framework branches, it is still using
master branches and I don't want to port it yet.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Jan

--