KIOWidgets and KFile

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Sep 29 20:31:38 UTC 2013

On Sunday, September 29, 2013 20:50:28 David Faure wrote:
> This is clearly because kbookmarks was written as part of kio, and with
> konqueror in mind. I guess the question is how generic we want KBookmarks
> to  be, i.e. should it work without KIO altogether (at the expense of
> losing automatic favicon integration -- can still be done by the caller
> though, as long as the favicon doesn't change over time... as far as I can
> see from the code).

Maybe KBookmark could just be a small API backed by plugins?

This would allow us to tackle bookmark provision "the other way round", so we
could

- use different providers, thereby hook into what's there on a given system
- use Nepomuk as a backend (we use Nepomuk for browser bookmarks in Plasma
  Active
- hook into Chrome and Firefox bookmarks (at least read-only), we have code
  for this in KRunner
- it'd let us get away for KBookmarks itself with minimal dependencies

I imagine KBookmark being a more service-like thing, rather than a mechanism
to store and read bookmarks.

Cheers,
--
sebas