Making KDocTools independent of KArchive

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Sep 27 14:57:12 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 25 September 2013 01:13:05 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 24 de setembre de 2013, a les 14:09:57, Kevin Ottens va
escriure:
> > On Tuesday 24 September 2013 13:48:55 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dimarts, 24 de setembre de 2013, a les 08:49:20, Kevin Ottens va
> >
> > escriure:

> > > That's really weird, we have a solution that works, and you want to use
> > > something else?
> > >
> > > What does that gives us?
> > >
> > > That stuff in kde now depends in two docbook-to-manpage conversion tools
> > > instead of one?
> > >
> > > Are you sure that's an improvement?
> >
> > Well, as highlighted we have a dependency issue there, so it's either:
> >  1) no docbook in tier 1 and tier 2 frameworks;
> >  2) we use a different docbook to manpage tool for tier 1 and tier 2
> >
> > frameworks.
>
> Why you guys don't treat e-c-m as a dependency for the tier system but treat
> kdoctools as one?

Well, e-c-m is one too many for my taste to be honest. But we have no way
around it I'm afraid. :-)

> I mean they are both prerequisites for the other modules (and if you remove
> KArchive from kdoctools as the thread title suggests both are 'non-kde'),
> aren't they?

Indeed, that makes for a:
 3) make kdoctool not depend on anything else from KDE Frameworks, and
frameworks which have manpages can optionally use it.

Makes for a kind of exception in the way we manage the dependencies so far,
not sure I like this increase in complexity either.

Personally I think I would aim for:
 * no docbook in tier 1;
 * remove the KArchive dependency of kdoctools (making it tier 1);
 * make it an optional dependencies for tier 2 and 3 frameworks which would
need it.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net