[kde-promo] Terminology for Frameworks

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 15:52:57 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:09 (UTC) Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Going through the article explaining Frameworks to the world*
> yesterday, I bumped into quite some inconsistent use of terms.
>
> Right now, we mix up:
> modules
> components
> frameworks
> addons
> libraries

This article was developed using several previously published
resources...blogposts, presentations, mailing list threads. These were written
in different time frames, against a background of evolving understandings, for
a variety of audiences.

The terms made sense within their respective contexts.

For people in the know, the distinctions are not a big deal. The multiple
audiences intended for the article will not have a more-or-less automatic
synonym-izer. So Jos and I went into some detail about what each of these
terms would mean to various intended audiences.

The Frameworks 5 project looks one way to KDE developers. Other audiences such
as technical journalists, Qt developers, managers of Qt-related projects and
companies will have different views. This article will potentially reach many
of these audiences.

Carl