QTimeZone merged for 5.2

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Sep 23 07:06:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am extremely relived to announce that QTimeZone finally got merged
late late last night, thanks to the efforts of Thiago in fighting the
CI system :-)  Combined with other changes in QDateTime, this should
mean we're free of KDateTime and KTimeZone, albeit with a few caveats.
 I'll be doing a lightning talk at Qt Dev Days on the topic, so I'll
be documenting all the gotcha's people will need to look out for soon.

Thanks also to the work from Martin and Rohan, all the necessary CUPS
features have been merged into Qt 5.2, and a huge thanks to Alex for
taking on QCollator and getting it in.  I owe you all a beer or three
next time I see you :-)

I was less successful on the QLocale front, unfortunately there was
too much resistance from Windows devs to using ICU everywhere, so that
plan has been shelved and we've moved on to Plan C for 5.3.  I'll be
working through what that means for us soon, but I don't see any
immediate problems for us in still switching to QLocale.

Cheers!

John.