Making KDocTools independent of KArchive

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Sep 23 06:45:29 UTC 2013

On Saturday 21 September 2013 15:25:27 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dissabte, 21 de setembre de 2013, a les 11:15:52, Stephen Kelly va
>
> escriure:

> > > There is no need for it to be a .bz2 other than "it is what it does and
> > > if
> > > you change it you are going to break stuff that uses it". So yes, no
> > > reason.
> >
> > What would break? Everything that reads and writes those files is in-tree.
>
> Right, i tought khelpcenter did some of the decoding, but it's done via
> meinproc too.

> > > Do I really need to do an ls for you?
> >
> > What I was trying to get at is that you seem to be implying that kconfig
> > depends on kdoctools (ie, a tier1 depends on a tier2), therefore kdoctools
> > can't be tier1. I don't follow that logic.
>
> Well, kconfig depends on kdoctools because as I said there is a docbook for
> the kconfig_compiler manpage.
>
> So yes, there is a tier1 that depends on a tier2. That if as I understand we
> plan to ship the kconfig_compiler manpage together with the kconfig
> framework tarball.

Well, I'm not sure we want to do that. This docbook seems useful only because
kconfig_compiler --help does a poor job at documenting itself. So what about
completing kconfig_compiler --help output to make it useful and get rid of the
docbook?

To me it looks like most of the docbook files in kdelibs are pretty much in
the same situation and I'd favor proper --help support there than adding a
dependency on kdoctool.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net